Monday, February 9, 2009

Mac Experiance

So my PC died about six months ago and I needed something to use. I know that I use a computer all day at work and that my phone (blackberry curve) has internet access but neither is the same as having a nice little laptop in your own home. The problem became a little more evident when I needed to do some heavy typing for a graduate program application. There is nothing worst than trying to go to the public library to try to type up a story in 30 minute increments. So, after hearing me complain for about a month a friend of mine was nice enough to give me her old Mac. Its a nice little G4 12" laptop. That sounds really tiny but I swear that the keyboard was made to fit my hands and its way lighter than my old PC.

All has gone well so far. I was able to finish some needed writing, I could check my e-mail, upload pictures, watch DVD's and I had no problem updating my Netflix queue. But I did notice that there were a couple of random issues. I couldn't look at my blog (and was not able to update it) or anyone else blog and I noticed that something was really up when I couldn't download the new Safari. "huh" I thought to myself. I don't want anyone to think that my friend gave me a crappy computer. It's not crappy at all. Far from it. It just has a little hiccup in the system. I am one of those people who has to figure out how I can make something work the way that I want it to. So, I decided to try and reinstall Leopard... the disk never started. So I bought the new version and tried to install that. It took me all night to figure out that nothing was going to happen. Then I just called Mac costumer service. The woman took my info and then told me the wonderful news! I simply didn't have enough RAM. The rest of the conversation went something like this:
"So... all I need to do is buy more RAM, at least 500MB and I will have enough space to install the new version of Leopard"
"Yes"
"So I should just go to the store and buy-"
"YES"
"And you said that I could do this myself?"
"Yes"
"Can I just buy 1GB of RAM now, since I am on the phone?"
"No, Apple doesn't carry that anymore"
WTF?!?!?! "OK, thank you"
CLICK

OK. I know that she just told me that they don't sell the RAM that I need, but could she have at least told me where I could find it. I mean, come on. I am clearly not that computer savvy. Luckily I was able to go online and chat with a representative. I told them that I needed RAM.and not only did they tell me what kind I needed, which the phone rep also told me, but also where I could find it. WoooHooo!! I really wanted to know where they recomened because I felt the it would be more legitimate than someplace that I could think up. Cut to five minutes letter and I have ordered 1GB of RAM from some company in Florida.

The funny thing about all of this is what if non of these possible solutions takle the problem? How much would that suck? Well at least I will have 1GB of ram (about three times more than what I have now) and the latest version of Leopard. Which should allow me to upload a program to sync my BlackBerry to the Mac. AND I should be able to then view The Office and 30 Rock online. Yeah! Man, it sure is amazing what computers can do for you.

To Be Continued.....


No comments: