Friday, January 23, 2009

Knitttin' aint esay... just like pimpin'

Hey everyone! This winter is seems that I cannot finish a project to save my life. I am currently in the middle of three projects: socks, a hat and of course the wimple. Gosh that damn wimple. It was really silly of me to choose this project. Using lace weight yarn to do closed work knitting is just crazy to begin with, but trying to do something that will totally about 13 inches long and about 5 inches wide is really insane. Seriously insane. I lost the pattern a while ago. But I knew that I had to do like eight or six inches of the stocknet stitch. Yea, I have to do more than that. I have to do a total of 9 1/4 inches. WTF? That totally explains why most of the wimples on Revelry look a little smaller than the picture in the book. I have thought about just giving up and finishing it shorter than I am supposed to. Because really, at the rate that I am going I won't finish until the weather finally gets warm. But at least the other two projects are coming along.

Socks are like crack. Yea, I said it. I never thought than I would ever try to make socks let alone like making them. I also think that sock yarn is some of the best looking yarn in the world. I have always stayed away from patterned yarn patterned sock yarn just looks cool. I think that it is because the projects are small and not always seen. I can't really handle too many patterns. However, I am beginning to appreciate colorful undergarments. I finished my first sock I am using the William Street sock pattern from knitting daily. It is a toe up sock. I really like the pattern and using size US 3 dpn's rather than the recommended size US 2 really made things go fast. The part that really had me flubbed was the heel. I think that I spent two or three days trying to figure out how the hell I could make a heel. I did it, it's not pretty but it works. I think that the sock might be a little shorter than it's supposed to be but it seems perfect to me. Woohooo! I just hope that people don't think that my declaration means that I am so good at making socks that I will just whip up a pair whenever someone asks. But I would like to get good enough where I can make a pair for someone and think that they are decent.

My hat is coming along fast. That gives me hope. It remindes me why I started doing this whole crafty thing in the first place; I want to make functional things with my hands and see the final result. I am doing the Robin's Egg Blue hat by Rachel Iufer. This is great. I get to use the rest of my green casmerino wool to whip this thing up in a couple of days. I haven't experienced the joy of using chunky yarn and US10 needles in years. At least one of my winter projects will work out while it is still cold. The way that the weather has been in San Francisco, that might mean that I'll get to wear it for a month or just a couple of days.

Whew, at least something will get done!

No comments: